Follow by Email

Monday, 16 October 2017

Countdown is underway... with a game this coming Saturday I had a few odds and ends to tidy up, specifically ladders and a bridge. the ladders are unremarkable: MDF from Warbases (I think). MDF ladders are just ok; no detail as such, very plain. I have since ordered some nice resin ones from Firedragon Games. I also had some plastic ladders from GW's LoTR Uruk Hai siege troops.

The bridge is made from 3/8 square balsa and popsicle sticks. Normally I would use balsa wood strips as the cut and carve easily but I didn't have enough in the size I wanted and didn't feel like running out to the hobby store. Painted with craft paint greys, washed with home made black wash and moss from Woodland Scenics fine yellow turf coated with watered down white glue and washed with green ink.





Sunday, 8 October 2017

At the beginning of September I ordered some stone walls from Fenris Games for my table. They were meant to go between the grassy area and the urban area. Unfortunately they just got shipped 2 weeks ago which means they won't be here for Oct 21st .My guess is they will either arrive the day before or the day after... so onto Plan B.

I decided to make a hedge. I wanted it to look irregular, as one that grew up naturally as opposed to a planted and maintained hedge so I chose a variety of materials: coconut fibre, a few strands of florists wire primed brown, some woodland scenics lichen (natural) and grape vine from an Ashland wreath. The base is 3mm MDF which- despite taking precautions- still managed to warp somewhat, with Sculptamold and brown house paint for texture and Heki 10mm beige static grass. The dead leaves are ScenicExpress SuperLeaf.







I still have yet to start on that bridge....

Sunday, 24 September 2017

The table is nearly done. Just a few items to add however Mrs. Codsticker says there are more importanter things that need attending to 😒.

I used quite a few different products at this stage. The static grass is a mostly Heki 6mm Autumn with a few splashes of Heki 10mm Autumn. The large beige tufts are Gamers Grass beige XL and the smaller brown tufts in the creek are Army Painter Highland Tufts. The reeds are natural bristles cut from a brush and washed with dark brown ink. The dead shrubbery is a mix of Ashland Mocha Moss and coconut fibre, with a spinkling of Scenic Express SuperLeaf, mostly Fall with a bit of Moss Green. The creek was painted then coated with several heavy coats of Mod Podge Gloss. The final coat was thinned and poured on. As it was a couple of mm thick it took about 36 hours to dry.




All to do now is build a bridge. I bought a stone bridge but the span is too small so a wooden one will have to do. I also have some dead wood I am thinking of adding to the ridge. I may not use them.

Monday, 18 September 2017

More progress on the table. I have glued down rocks and sand; painted the murky water; inked and drybrushed the mud and rubble. I will put a few coats of gloss Modpodge on the water and add dry grass, dead branches and leaves. Oh, and make a bridge. I will either carve out the openings in the foam base to make fissures or just make sure they are covered in terrain... we will see. This could be all wrapped up next weekend! *eek*





Monday, 11 September 2017

I started re-purposing an old table for Kodsticklerburg. It saw many hours of play for my kids Playmobile as well as being part of a bigger table for games of 40K. I scraped off as much of the old loose flock and paint as I could and scribed paving stones into the smoothest parts and covered the roughest sections with a mix of Sculptamold and paint, some grey and some brown.

Part way through: the pavers are all scribed in and I have started putting the base coat on them:

Dark brown texture layed down:
Dark grey added:
As it stands. I have some gravel and rocks to add then I am on to washing and drybrushing:



Sunday, 20 August 2017

Completed Guild House buildings for Mordheim. Really, this project consumed way more time than I expected. I only plan a couple more smaller buildings and then it is on to the tabletop itself.  As an afterthought I  may add a sign post once I have thought of a suitable design for it...


Monday, 31 July 2017

6 weeks in the making, the second part of the building I am calling  'The Guild House' is finally complete. As I cannot help but experiment a little with each building it is not identical to it's partner. Not a problem- I can just claim that one building is a later addition. Construction materials are the same as for part 1: Fire Dragon Games  blue foam and metal windows; Games Workshop Mordheim roof, doors and windows; foam core and balsa wood. Paints are a mix of Ceramacoat, Americana, Coat D'Arms as well as washes made with Golden Inks, Flow Enhancer and Glazing Medium.
Now all that needs to be done is a base for both buildings together. There is also a bit of trimming to aid fitting the walkway into the second building as well as a small roof section to add at the join.